Thursday 19 May 2016

Australia 2011 Early days


 This was our first time to Aus and our first real day. We were on our way to meet our youngest daughter who we had not seen for 2 years. This is Glenelg where she worked in a restaurant. The little men were something my wife was doing her aim ,to photo them in every  locations in Aus . we visited A bit like the garden gnome that toured the world . These are that sort of sticky plastic that supposedly sticks on glass . These are hanging on grimly'. I took a picture of my daughter to the amusement of another customer who asked if I photographed all waitresses.


 Giant Jaws ,you wouldnt think it was 2 years since I saw my duaghter , deep down I was glowing to see her again, being English I couldnt think of anything to say .
 Glenelg beach

 Port Adelaide . Went here on the Sunday after we arrived because nobody was around to keep us company so basically we got on a bus simply because it said Port Adelaide and it was a name that seemed familiar. My son in law was horrified and said we should not have gone on our own and it can be dangerous. It seemed to me to be a port which like so many around the world was suffering from container cargo symptom and was in decline the short fall being to make it  a bit of a tourist destination.
One strange thing, I saw a bus driver sat having a cigarette and I went to ask him where we got the bus back. As I approached he said I know you ! He, it turned out, came from Basingstoke and had worked in Motorola before he was made redundant and moved to Aus. Small world especially as although we recognised each other we could not figure out why.



I had read somewhere that an Aussie dish was a thing called a pie floater a meat pie upside down in pea gravy with a blob of tomato sauce . This eaterie was in a park in the middle of Adelaide . It was midday amd meltingly hot so though I am trying to look as if I am enjoying it I am sweating buckets and you will see its only a pie and tomato sauce it appeared nobody in Australia had heard of a Floater ?


This building was in the entrance to the park I dont know what it was becuase jet lag was catching up with me.



Glenelg I think this was a kind of curio , tourist , gift shop kind of place , it was right in front of the beach .

No comments:

Post a Comment