Saturday 11 June 2016

GIN

Just found out Spain is the epicentre for gin production and consumption.Not only that but there are nearly twenty types of gin on sale in most Spanish Bars and accompanied by a variety of mixes. Apparently the spanish are such dedicated gin drinkers that they are happy to experiment to find the ultimate gin experience.This has passed me by. I have never entered a spanish bar and thought this is a gin palace , here is a bar dedicated to gin and all things gin related. I cant even recall a Spanish person or any person apart from me having a gin. I , if pressed would say that the bar staff looked slightly suprised when asked for a gin.
I had beleived gin to be an archetypal british drink , in fact I would go further and say a English beverage. We have G&T , Pink Gin , Gin and Ginger beer , even gin and ginger ale (see Travelbetter for a gin trip around the Bombay Gin Distillery ) so I am surprised.I will in due course fetch up in spain and I will investigate this story very closely and in as much detail as I can.

Couldn't wait until I get to spain so I googled it. All true . Apparently they love to experiment with mixers.  G&T and star anise is one combination , garnish is also a big thing there they use peppercorns and mint and nutmeg , they serve it with lots of ice in balloon type glasses and brew 30 types of there own . Even tonic the drink of empire they seem to predate us on and the wife of the consul of Peru fell ill and was revived with quinine. They love or prefer fever tree tonic. How have I missed all this ? What was I doing in each bar , why was the supermarket not overflowing with gin and gin related products , I am agog (not that white ORC in the somewhat mangled Hobbit franchise) but open mouthed in wonderment . I calls for investigation ..

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like one more reason to visit Spain. (Carl)

    ReplyDelete