Saturday 4 June 2016

Santa Pola Marina

This was when we first arrived a fishing port in decline. Now its a smart Marina . Santa Pola castle is a little way from the Marina , well quite a way and a bit odd as its a church and a museum and a place for civic offices. Basically its 4 walls and a courtyard .





I am convinced in my youth I could have jumped this gap I still find myself tempted


By the way I endlessly hear people bemoaning the touristy places and yearning for the 'real' spain. Well first this isnt any less real its just a different part of spanish culture and second if you want the real spain just turn of the main road and walk up the hill . I was here with John and Kev , longtime friend and longtime brother in law (and friend) and we wandered off piste , Kev got a haircut whilst John and I found this little cafe full of workman . None of us spoke each others language but we had a great time , especially once they established we weren't french, they cheered us!! We toasted each other , laughed joked and watched footy . One of my best days . I was driving and unable to drink so that night in a sulk (yes I admit it no glossing over my faults on this blog)  I took a bottle of Vodka and myself on to the Solarium and contemplated life the universe and everything - second best part of the day , lying there staring up at the night sky ..


No comments:

Post a Comment